Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Artist's Contract - 100 in 100 days

Ina the Atriot has inspired me. An artist who wants to push herself, she’s committed to creating 100 self-portraits in 100 days. Each piece is unique and pushes a different part of herself, and each is wonderfully interesting. On my long drive today, I was thinking about her creative commitment and my desire to begin producing regularly.

So I have decided to create 100 pieces in 100 days. Some of these will be self-portraits, reflecting the sometime insights I have into what makes me who I am, some will be character portraits of people I meet or imagine, some will be pieces of works in progress, and some will be vignettes I’ve imagined or witnessed, but all will be expressions pushing to emerge from my consciousness.

I feel I need to set some parameters for these works:
Each piece will be at least 250 words and no longer than 1000 words.
Each piece must be created the day in which I post it, and it cannot be a revision of an earlier piece. Each piece must stand on its own, even if it is a part of some larger whole that is emerging.
Each piece’s form must reflect the content. Poems, vignettes, character sketches, and even lists may appear here.

I considered whether this introduction should count as 1 of 100, and I decided it should not. This is simply the contract I am making with the artist within to create every day. These pieces, hopefully, will be the inception and origination of a lifelong commitment to writing the truth as I see it.

So here we go. Partake if you wish. Comment if you feel the urge. And welcome to my world.

1 comment:

Pissed off Pessimist ACP said...

If I attempted 100 in 100 I think I would prefer to slay 100 corporate dragons. Since that is a job that will take 100 years or more, and is almost like tilting at windmills, what little I could do might help, but in the grand scheme of things, your contract will be carried out and concluded more successfully than mine.